Certell’s Poptential™ Addresses Twenty first-Century Wars With Free Memorial Day Educating Assets — science weblog
INDIANAPOLIS (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Poptential™, a household of free social research course packages from Certell, supplies wealthy content material to show the significance of Memorial Day, together with materials on the U.S. involvement in Twenty first-century wars. Click on to tweet.
“Whereas in the present day’s highschool college students weren’t but born when the US was attacked on 9/11, the Struggle on Terror ensuing from that day has been within the information for many of their lives,” stated Julie Smitherman, a former social research instructor and director of content material at Certell, Inc. “Greater than 7,000 U.S. service women and men misplaced their lives throughout this protracted warfare, so it’s vital to grasp the way it happened.”
The Memorial Day vacation honors American troopers who’ve died in fight and has been noticed yearly since 1971 on the final Monday of Might. Poptential’s American Historical past curriculum options bell ringers, mini-lessons, and multimedia content material to interact and train college students concerning the U.S. involvement in Twenty first-century wars, together with the assault on the World Commerce Middle in New York, the ensuing Struggle on Terrorism, the occupation of Afghanistan and the Iraq warfare. Classes embody:
- The human toll of warfare—The Poptential Might 30 bell ringer encompasses a video clip tribute to troopers who pay the last word worth. Composed of scenes from the 2009 historic drama “The Taking of Probability,” the movie follows Colonel Michael Strobel, performed by Kevin Bacon, a army officer who volunteers to escort the physique of Lance Corporal Probability Phelps, who was killed in Iraq, again to his hometown in Wyoming for burial.
- 9/11 shocked the world—The Poptential September 11 bell ringer highlights why 9/11 stays one of the vital occasions in current historical past. It encompasses a video clip of President George W. Bush’s response to receiving the information of the assault on the World Commerce Middle as he reads to high school youngsters. A Historical past Channel video clip exhibits the timeline of the assaults on the World Commerce Middle on 9/11.
- The Struggle on Terror begins—Figuring out that the Afghanistan-based terrorist group Al-Qaeda was answerable for the 9/11 terrorist assault, President Bush and his administration vowed to wage a “Struggle on Terrorism.” A Poptential mini-lesson focuses on the flight paths of the hijacked planes and highlights the October 2001 U.S. and NATO forces’ invasion of Afghanistan.
- Iraq Struggle of 2003 Defined—Believing that Iraq was amassing weapons of mass destruction (WMD) that could possibly be utilized in future terrorist assaults, the US and the UK joined forces to invade Iraq. This video exhibits why these allies mistakenly thought Iraq possessed WMDs and the function Iraqi President Saddam Hussein performed in perpetuating that perception as a way to venture power and instill concern in his enemies.
- The Struggle on Terror Ends—The USA’ chaotic withdrawal from Afghanistan in August 2021 introduced an finish to the 20-year Struggle on Terror. A mini-lesson features a video clip of U.S. presidents addressing the American individuals concerning the warfare. It additionally features a video clip illustrating a concise historical past lesson of the sophisticated situations and conflicts which have existed within the space since 1978.
Poptential course packages embody all the things instructors want to show a topic, together with classes, e-books, bell ringers, quizzes, and exams. The teachings use quite a lot of popular culture media as an example ideas, together with these taken from sitcoms, films, animations, cartoons, late-night exhibits, and different sources. The curriculum is standards-based and developed by lecturers.
Poptential is obtainable through a digital platform that enables college students to entry classes even in poor bandwidth environments. Course packages in American Historical past, World Historical past, U.S. Authorities/Civics, and Economics can be found free at www.poptential.org.
About Certell, Inc.
Certell is a 501(c)3 nonprofit whose mission is to foster a era of impartial thinkers. Greater than 100,000 customers from all through the US have signed up for Certell’s Poptential™ household of free social research programs. Certell course packages have received numerous awards, together with EdTech Digest Awards for Curriculum and Instruction Answer, Tech&Studying Finest Software for Again to Faculty, Tech Edvocate Awards, Bronze Award of Excellence from the Nationwide Affiliation of Economics Educators, and Civvys Awards. Extra data is obtainable at poptential.org.